At Jack in the Box we have a record keeping system in place that meets the legal requirement. This means that storing and sharing of information takes place within the framework of the Data Protection Act and the Human Rights Act.
This policy is taken in conjunction with our Confidentiality Policy and our procedures for sharing information.
We keep two kinds of records on children attending our setting:
- These include observations of children in the setting, photographs and samples of their work and summary of developmental reports.
- These are kept securely in the setting, and can be freely accessed, and contributed to, by staff, the child and the child’s parents. We also information share with other settings or child-minders where children attend more than one setting or with other professionals where medically necessary.
- These include registration and admissions forms, signed consent forms, and correspondence concerning the child or family, reports or minutes from meetings concerning the child from other agencies, an ongoing record of relevant contacts with parents, and observations by staff on any confidential matter involving the child, such as developmental concerns or child protection matters.
- These confidential records are stored in a lockable cabinet and/or cupboard and are kept secure by the person in charge.
- Parents have access, in accordance with our confidentiality policy to the files and records of their own children but do not have access to information about any other child.
- Staff will only discuss information given by parents with other members of staff within our setting if it affects planning for the child’s needs. Staff induction includes an awareness of the importance of confidentiality in the role of the key person.
- We retain children’s records for three years after they have left the setting. These are kept in a secure place.
- Issues to do with employment of staff, whether paid or unpaid, remain confidential to the management.
- Students who are on recognised qualifications or training, when observing in the setting are advised of our confidentiality policy and are required to respect it.
Data Protection Act 1998
Published: 11th September 2021
Review: September 2022
© Jack in the Box Playgroup Limited trading as Jack in the Box Playgroup.