In our setting, the manager and staff can be said to have a confidential relationship with families. It is our intention to respect the privacy of children and their parents and carers, while ensuring that they access high quality early years care and education in our setting. We aim to ensure that all parents and carers can share their information in the confidence that it will only be used to enhance the welfare of their children. There are record keeping systems in place that meet legal requirements; means of storing and sharing that information take place within the framework of the Data Protection Act and the Human Rights Act.
- We check whether parents regard the information they share with us is to be regarded as confidential or not.
- Some parents sometimes share information about themselves with other parents as well as staff; the setting cannot be held responsible if information is shared beyond those parents whom the person has confided in.
- Information shared between parents in a discussion or training group is usually bound by a shared agreement that the information is confidential to the group and not discussed outside of it.
- All staff must adhere to our social networking policy and if breached it will result in disciplinary action taken against them. We ask all parents/carers to also be cautious when and if ever discussing the setting online. If as parents you are not satisfied with the standard of care being provided or have an issue with a member of staff then you should address these issues by speaking directly to the managers or by using the settings complaints procedures and not via Facebook or Twitter sites. If a false allegation is made then a libel claim may be made.
- We inform parents when we need to record confidential information beyond the general personal information we keep – for example with regard to any injuries, concerns or changes in relation to the child or the family, any discussions with parents on sensitive matters, any records we are obliged to keep regarding action taken in respect of child protection and any contact and correspondence with external agencies in relation to their child.
- We keep all records securely in a locked cabinet.
Published: 11th September 2021
Review: September 2022
© Jack in the Box Playgroup Limited trading as Jack in the Box Playgroup.